The Bit:Bot XL takes the much-loved BitBot to the next level! 4Tronix have made several changes, some subtle, some not so subtle, to give a much-improved experience of using and working with the BitBot.
A fun way to learn how to code (and constantly improve) the Bit:Bot XL includes a ton of fun features to allow users to constantly create new fun projects with their new favourite robot!
micro:bit not included - available here!
- Chunky wheels
- Ready and assembled. Battery pack permanently attached
- Motor gearboxes fully covered - minimises debris in the gears
- Vertically-mounted micro:bit
- Uses standard breakout connector for ultrasonic breakout
- Line sensors no longer share pins with the micro:bit buttons - removes all Bluetooth pairing issues and allows use of buttons in your code
- Pen holder is fitted as standard - mounted directly over the pivot point for better drawing
- Indicator LEDs added for line follower sensors
- 2 GVS outputs provided for potential servo usage with 5V power
- Makecode compatible
- Buzzer now connected on Pin 0 so you can play music through it
And it still retains all these features from the classic BitBot:
- 2 micro-metal gear motors. Both fully controllable in software, for both speed (0 to 100%) and direction (forward or reverse)
- Wheels with rubber tyres for maximum grip
- Front ball caster
- 12 FireLeds in 2 sets of 6 along the arms either side. Select any colour for any pixel, produce stunning lighting effects as your Bit:Bot XL moves around
- 2 digital line following sensors. Code your own line-following robots and race them to see whose code produces the fastest lap time!
- 2 analog light sensors (front left and front right) so your Bit:Bot XL can be programmed to follow a light source such as a torch, or you could code it to go and hide in the darkest place it can find
- Buzzer, so you can make beeping sounds or music whenever you want
- Powered from integrated 3xAA battery holder with on/off switch and blue indicator LED (batteries not included)
- Easily plug your BBC micro:bit in and out using the vertical edge connector
- Expansion connections at the front for accessories
- Two GVS connectors with 5V for servos (shared with light sensors)
Optionally, you can add an Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (rangefinder) module.
- See this detailed blog entry for example code snippets and application ideas
- Learn how to control the Bit:Bot with your Bluetooth phone
- The Microsoft Makecode Extension for Bit:Bot also works for BitBot XL. Go to the Advanced tab or the Tools gear icon and select Extensions, then search for BitBot. It can automatically detect while running which version you have, or you can force it to be the Classic BitBot or the new XL.
Note: micro:bit, pen and ultrasonic sensor not included