The Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera v2 is the official “night vision” camera board released by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
The Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Module v2 is a high quality 8 megapixel Sony IMX219 image sensor custom designed add-on board for the Raspberry Pi, featuring a fixed focus lens.
It's capable of 3280 x 2464 pixel static images, and also supports 1080p30, 720p60 and640x480p60/90 video. The focal length of the Raspberry Pi Camera (the distance from the front of the lens to the closest object which is in focus) is around 50cm (according to this Raspberry Pi project page).
It attaches to the Raspberry Pi by way of one of the small sockets on the board upper surface and uses the dedicated CSi interface, designed especially for interfacing to cameras.
The NoIR Camera has No InfraRed (NoIR) filter on the lens which makes it perfect for doing Infrared photography and taking pictures in low light (twilight) environments.
Please note the board PCB will state either V2 or V2.1, but the module is exactly the same specification (as different licensed manufacturers use different print on the board).
- Fixed focus lens on-board
- 8 megapixel native resolution sensor-capable of 3280 x 2464 pixel static images
- Supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p90 video
- Size 25mm x 23mm x 9mm
- Weight just over 3g
- Connects to the Raspberry Pi board via a short ribbon cable (supplied)
- Camera v2 is supported in the latest version of Raspbian, Raspberry Pi's preferred operating system