After a lot of testing, we finally found an SSD (SATA) to USB 3.0 cable that works really well with the Raspberry Pi 4! Great for USB Booting or even just adding fast SSD storage for your media, documents and files.
This cable will accept a standard SATA SSD on one end and has a USB 3.0 connection on the other end for plugging into one of your Raspberry Pi 4's USB 3.0 ports. It uses an ASMedia ASM1153E chip inside, which works very well with the Raspberry Pi and supports UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for fast transfer speeds.
In our testing, the adapter and SSD pulled around 0.2-0.3A from our Raspberry Pi USB port, which means you can easily add two of these (one per USB 3.0 port) if you need to connect multiple SSDs. Just make sure you're using an official Raspberry Pi power supply.
Each cable is approximately 18cm end to end (may vary slightly with different batches).
- We don't recommend using this cable with traditional spinning disk drives (HDDs) as they draw too much power and don't always work well (or at all) with the Raspberry Pi
- We recommend using these cables with USB 3.0 ports for maximum speeds, however they will work on USB 2.0 ports as well
- We recommend direct connection to Raspberry Pi USB ports. This item has not been tested when using via a USB hub
- Raspberry Pi and SSD not included. Adapter cable only
- As of 16/08/2021 we are now stocking an 18cm cable with the ASMedia ASM1153E chip
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.