A uniquely square, high-resolution, high-speed, 4.0" display with optional touchscreen for the Raspberry Pi – it's hip to be square! Available with or without touch (select before adding to your cart)
HyperPixel 4.0 Square has all the great features of the standard HyperPixel 4.0 - a crisp, brilliant IPS display, optional touchscreen, and high-speed DPI interface - it's just more square!
This square version of HyperPixel 4.0 is great for custom interfaces and control panels, and works really well for Pico-8 games. Everything is pre-soldered and ready to go, just pop it onto your Pi, run our installer, and away you go!
- High-speed DPI interface
- 4.0" IPS (wide viewing angle, 160°) display (72x72mm)
- 720x720 pixels (~254 PPI)
- 18-bit colour (262,144 colours)
- 60 FPS frame rate
- Optional capacitive touchscreen
- 40-pin female header included to boost height for Pi B+, 2, 3, 3B+ and 4
- Standoffs included to securely attach to your Pi
- Compatible with all 40-pin header Raspberry Pi models
- One-line installer
HyperPixel 4.0 Square uses a high-speed DPI interface, allowing it to shift 5x more pixel data than the usual SPI interface that these small Pi displays normally use. It has a 60 FPS frame rate and a resolution of approximately 254 pixels per inch (720x720px) on its 4.0" display. The display can show 18-bits of colour (262,144 colours).
The touchscreen variant is capacitive touch, that's more sensitive and responsive to touch than a resistive touch display, and it's capable of multi-touch!
Please note (Important!)
When installing HyperPixel 4.0 Square onto your Pi make sure not to press down on the screen surface! Hold the board by its edges and wiggle it to mate with the extended header (or GPIO header). Also take care not to pull on the edges of the glass display when removing your HyperPixel.
It'll work with any 40-pin version of the Pi, including Pi Zero and Pi Zero W. If you're using it with a larger Pi then use the extra 40-pin header that's included to boost it up to the required height. If you're using a Pi Zero or Pi Zero W then just pop it straight onto the GPIO.
The included standoff kit allows you to mount your HyperPixel 4.0 Square safely and securely to your Pi. Just screw them into the posts on the underside of the HyperPixel 4.0 Square PCB and then secure with screws through the mounting holes on your Pi.
We've put together a one-line installer to configure your Pi properly for HyperPixel 4.0 Square and to enable the touchscreen. Note that you'll need another display, keyboard, and mouse to install the software, or you could do it remotely over SSH if you follow our guide on how to set your Pi up headlessly.
Open a terminal, and type
curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel4 | bash to run the one-line installer and set your HyperPixel 4.0 up.
Find the GitHub repository here: https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel4
- The HyperPixel 4.0 Square Touch in the main photo here is on its side, and that the slightly narrower and slightly wider bezels are usually at the bottom and top respectively, although there's very little difference in size (5.5mm for the left and right sides, 4.5 for the top, and 6.5mm for the bottom). The Non-touch is also on its side, so the wider bezel is usually at the bottom, although because the display is square you can use it any way round!
- Dimensions: Touch: 84x84x9.5mm, Non-touch: 75x80x8.9mm (WxHxD, depth includes header and display).
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.