The SparkFun BME688 Environmental Sensor is a breakout that combines a gas scanning sensor with temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure sensing for a complete environmental sensor in a single package.
The gas sensor on the BME688 can detect a wide variety of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs), and other gases such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen in the part per billion (ppb) range. Combine that with precise temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure and the BME688 can work as a completely standalone environmental sensor all in a 1in. x 1in. breakout!
The sensor communicates via either I2C or SPI. We've broken out the I2C pins to our Qwiic system so no soldering is required to connect it to the rest of your system but if you would prefer, both the I2C and SPI pins are also broken out to standard 0.1in.-spaced pins.
Note: While this sensor can be used with the BME AI-Studio and BSEC2 Arduino library; it is recommended for the AI functionality, users purchase the BME688 Evaluation Board (Coming Soon) for ease of use.
Important: In order to avoid contamination of its gas scanning capabilities, DO NOT touch the metallic casing of the BME688 sensor. Please, handle with care.
Uses I2C interface (Qwiic-enabled)
- I2C Addresses: 0x76 (Default) or 0x77
- 2x Qwiic Connectors
Operating voltage range
- 1.71V - 3.6V
- Typically 3.3V if using the Qwiic cable
- Operating range: 0% to 100%
- Absolute Accuracy: ±3%RH
- Resolution: ±0.008%RH
- Operating range: -40°C to +85 °C
- Absolute Accuracy: ±1.0°C
- Resolution: 0.01°C
- Operating range: 300hPa - 1100hPa
- Absolute accuracy: ±60Pa (0°C to 65°C)
- Resolution: 0.18PA, highest oversampling
- F1 score for H₂S scanning: 0.92
- Standard scan speed: 10.8 sec/scan
- Sensor-to-sensor deviation: ± 15% ± 15
Typical current consumption (varies based on mode and active sensor)
- 2.1 µA to 18mA
- 0.15 µA (sleep mode)
- 3.9 mA in standard gas scan mode
- Eagle Files
- Hookup Guide
- Datasheet (BME688)
- BME AI-Studio Manual
- BME680 Arduino Library
- Bosch Software Page:
- Qwiic Connect System
- GitHub Hardware Repo
- Board Dimensions