Updated version! The kit (temporarily) includes a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 WH and the audio board now includes a pre-soldered header. No soldering required!
Build your very own internet-connected radio with the Pirate Radio Kit!
This kit has everything* you'll need, including a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 WH, audio board with VU meter LEDs, I2S DAC, and stereo amp, a 5W speaker, and a beautifully retro acrylic enclosure to make it look the business.
It'll take you around 30 minutes to put together (check out the assembly guide for details).
- Raspberry Pi Zero WH
- Audio board with I2S DAC, stereo amp. VU meter, and six buttons
- Single 5W 4Ω speaker
- Blue acrylic enclosure **
- 50cm USB A to micro-B cable
- USB A (female) to micro B (male) adaptor
- Mini to full-size HDMI adaptor
- Sticker sheet (personalise your Pirate Radio!)
- Comes in a reusable kit box
*Just add your own micro-SD card
** We've tweaked the design of the back layer and legs recently, and have updated the build guide with extra instructions for these new pieces.
This kit takes advantage of the built-in wireless LAN and Bluetooth on the Pi Zero WH, meaning that there's no longer any need for a USB Wi-Fi dongle.
We've put together three different software projects for your Pirate Radio: an internet radio, a Spotify streaming box, or an AirPlay speaker.
- Dual I2S DAC/amplifiers (MAX98357A)
- 3W per channel
- 2x push fit speaker terminals
- DIP switch to select blended mono or stereo modes
- 16 RGB LED pixels (APA102) in 2 rows of 8
- 6 edge-mounted push buttons
- Software installer and ALSA VU meter plugin
- 5W 4ohm speaker with pre-soldered wires
- 3-layer blue acrylic enclosure
- Pi Zero WH with single-core CPU and built-in wireless LAN and Bluetooth
- Adaptor kit
- 50cm USB A to Micro-B cable (power your Pi from an existing charger or computer)
- Pre-soldered header
- Python library
Our nifty one-line installer will get your kit configured and install our VU meter plugin for ALSA to display sound levels.
We've also put together a Python library to allow you to control the LEDs independently (if you wish) and to program the buttons to do whatever you wish.
Assembled size of Pirate Radio is 135x85x70mm (WxHxD).
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.