Freshly updated for GTK3, the 2nd edition of An Introduction to C & GUI Programming will teach you all you need to know to write simple programs in C and start creating GUIs, even if you're an absolute beginner.
The first half of the book is an introduction to C and covers the basics of writing simple command-line programs. The second half shows how to use the GTK user interface toolkit with C to create feature-rich GUI applications which can be run on the desktop.
156 pages of essential information:
- Create simple command-line C programs
- Control flow with conditions and loops
- Handle variables, strings, and files
- Design graphical user interface applications in C
- Handle user input with buttons and menus
- Use advanced UI features such as data stores and dialogs
On page 79, there is a typo in the command used to build a GTK application; single hyphens have been used where double hyphens should have been used.
gcc gtktest.c `pkg-config -cflags -libs gtk+3.0` -o gtktest
gcc gtktest.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-3.0` -o gtktest
In the preceding paragraph, the pkg-config instruction has the same error; the line
pkg-config -cflags -libs gtk+3.0
pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+3.0