Adafruit HUZZAH32 â€“ ESP32 Breakout Board [ADA4172]
Squeeeeze down your next ESP32 project to its bare-bones essential with the Adafruit HUZZAH32 Breakout . This breakout is basically the 'big sister' of our HUZZAH 8266, but instead of an ESP8266 it has the '32! We've pared down our popular Feather ESP32 , removing the battery charger and USB-serial converter. You just get a regulator, some protection diodes, two buttons and an LED. For some projects, where price and size are at a premium, you can program this board over the 'FTDI cable' breakout when needed, and leave it alone otherwise.
Note that this board doesn't come with a USB to serial converter chip and auto-reset circuit. Instead, you will need to plug in a CP2104 Friend or FTDI cable . Then, before uploading code, put it into bootloader mode by holding down the GPIO #0 button and clicking Reset button, then releasing the #0 button.
That module in the middle of the breakout contains a dual-core ESP32 chip, 4 MB of SPI Flash, tuned antenna, and all the passives you need to take advantage of this powerful new processor. The ESP32 has both WiFi and Bluetooth Classic/LE support. That means it's perfect for just about any wireless or Internet-connected project.
The ESP32 is a perfect upgrade from the ESP8266 that has been so popular. In comparison, the ESP32 has way more GPIO, plenty of analog inputs, two analog outputs, multiple extra peripherals (like a spare UART), two cores so you don't have to yield to the WiFi manager, much higher-speed processor, etc. etc!
Comes fully assembled and tested, pre-programmed with ESP32 SPI WiFi co-processor firmware that you can use in CircuitPython to use this into a WiFi co-processsor over SPI + 2 pins . We also toss in some header so you can solder it in and plug into a solderless breadboard.
Here are specifications from Espressif about the ESP32 :
- 240 MHz dual core Tensilica LX6 microcontroller with 600 DMIPS
- Integrated 520 KB SRAM
- Integrated 802.11b/g/n HT40 Wi-Fi transceiver, baseband, stack and LWIP
- Integrated dual mode Bluetooth (classic and BLE)
- 4 MByte flash include in the WROOM32 module
- On-board PCB antenna
- Ultra-low noise analog amplifier
- Hall sensor
- 10x capacitive touch interface
- 32 kHz crystal oscillator
- 3 x UARTs (only two are configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support, one UART is used for bootloading/debug)
- 3 x SPI (only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support)
- 2 x I2C (only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support)
- 12 x ADC input channels
- 2 x I2S Audio
- 2 x DAC
- PWM/timer input/output available on every GPIO pin
- OpenOCD debug interface with 32 kB TRAX buffer
- SDIO master/slave 50 MHz
- SD-card interface support