We've been looking for a display like this for a long time - it's only 1.5" diagonal but has a high density 220 ppi, 240x240 pixel display with full-angle viewing. It looks a lot like our 1.44" 128x128 display, but has 4x as many pixels and looks great at any angle. We've seen displays of this caliber used in smartwatches and small electronic devices but they've always been MIPI interface. Finally, we found one that is SPI and has a friendly display driver, so it works with any and all microcontrollers or microcomputers!
This lovely little display breakout is the best way to add a small, colorful and very bright display to any project. Since the display uses 4-wire SPI to communicate and has its own pixel-addressable frame buffer, it can be used with every kind of microcontroller. Even a very small one with low memory and few pins available! The 1.54" display has 240x240 16-bit full color pixels and is an IPS display, so the color looks great up to 80 degrees off axis in any direction. The TFT driver (ST7789) is very similar to the popular ST7735, and our Arduino library supports it well.
Our breakout has the TFT display soldered on (it uses a delicate flex-circuit connector) as well as a ultra-low-dropout 3.3V regulator and a 3/5V level shifter so you can use it with 3.3V or 5V power and logic. We also had a little space so we placed a microSD card holder so you can easily load full color bitmaps from a FAT16/FAT32 formatted microSD card. The microSD card is not included, but you can pick one up here.
Of course, we wouldn't just leave you with a datasheet and a "good luck!" - we've written a full open source graphics library that can draw pixels, lines, rectangles, circles, text and bitmaps as well as example code and a wiring tutorial. The code is written for Arduino but can be easily ported to your favorite microcontroller!
Please note! This display is designed original for smart watches and similar, where there's a glass over the screen. Without something gently holding the screen down, the backlight can eventually peel away from the TFT. (It's not destructive but it's unattractive) You can prevent this by, ideally, adding a plastic or glass cover/overlay. If using bare, try dabbing a touch of E6000 or similar craft glue on the thin side edges, or using a thin piece of tape to keep the front TFT attached to the backlight.
- 1.54" LCD TFT display
- Built-in microSD slot
- 1x16 header for easy breadboarding
- 4 x 0.1" / 2.5mm mounting holes in corners
- LCD screen dimensions: 32mm x 31mm / 1.3" x 1.2"
- Overall dimension: 43.7mm x 41.8mm x 5.5mm / 1.7" x 1.6" x 0.2"
- Mounting holes: 1.5" x 1.4"
- Weight (assembled): 9.8g
- As of July 24, 2019 we've change the TFT used to be one that is more durable and also exposed the TE pin. The shape has also changed to accommodate the different TFT module, and the pinout has shifted to add the TE pin. Code usage is identical.
Pre-Orders! Here's how it works:
- You place your order as usual, all pre-order products are clearly marked as such
- We then import the stock you have requested in our next supplier shipment (Currently every Wednesday)
- As soon as the stock arrives in our warehouse, we will ship your full order to you (usually within 7-10 working days, but this can be longer!)
Item Specific Notes:
- The Official Raspberry Pi Beginner's Book - With Raspberry Pi Zero! - Stock is in, we're just waiting for some packaging! Expected to ship 12th Dec 2017
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.