The BBC Doctor Who HiFive Inventor (“HiFive”) is a pocket-sized Internet of Things (IoT) computer, designed for makers, students, and educators who want to learn computer programming, a vital 21st-century skill that uses artificial intelligence, robotics, and more!
Note: This is the Premium Kit Version. We also offer a Basic Version which includes just the inner PCB and USB cable. Batteries not included.
The HiFive is a powerful IoT development platform made for the next generation of great inventors! With a suite of sensors, buttons, and lights, you can learn how to build hardware applications.
A powerful, programmable Internet of Things mini-computer, packed with a suite of sensors!
Thousands of activities and challenges - lessons narrated by the Doctor herself! Including:
- Develop an intergalactic weather service
- Wirelessly pilot an alien spaceship
- Learn to control a robot
- Send and receive emojis
- Build alien musical instruments
- Create a security system
- And many more!
What you’ll need to get started
- BBC Doctor Who HiFive Inventor (included in this kit)
- USB cable to connect to your computer (included in this kit)
- Alligator clips to connect to your HiFive (included in this kit)
- Battery holder (included in this kit)
- 3x AA batteries
- A computer to access HiFiveInventor.com
- Create an account at HiFiveInventor.com
What's Included in the Kit?
The BBC Doctor Who HiFive Inventor Coding Kit includes:
- HiFive Inventor mini-computer
- Doctor Who and Tynker coding lessons
- Thousands of activities and challenges
- External speaker
- Light up USB LED cable
- External battery pack
- Alligator clips
Setting up your HiFive
To get started with the Doctor Who HiFive Inventor Coding Kit, go to HiFiveInventor.com/redeem and enter the code included with your HiFive Inventor board.
HiFiveInventor.com is an online learning, programming and collaboration environment. With your account, you can access lessons that teach how to program the HiFive Inventor board with the blocks programming language or MicroPython. There are even BBC Dr. Who themed courses!
Once the courses are completed, you can let your imagination run wild and create unique projects with the HiFive Inventor.
Get a great introduction to coding with these immersive self-paced courses:
Planet of Adventure!
In Planet of Adventure, you will:
- Build 10 unique inventions
- Program the LED display
- Get data from real-world sensors
- Connect with the Internet
- Master the Workshop to create whatever they can create!
- and much, much more
The Book of Brilliant Inventions!
Follow the Doctor and invent with MicroPython! In The Book of Brilliant Inventions, you will:
- Create data collectors, memory games, and a melody maker
- Build Internet-enabled services and apps
- Create multiplayer experiences
- Extend your inventions with the Code Editor
- and much, much more
What people are saying
"BBC/Tynker coding is a combination of the best in entertainment with the best in technology for learning. Using play and stories to enable learning is a long-established practice among educators. Using the Doctor Who story to inspire learners to code using the well-respected Tynker coding environment means that children learn in a non-threatening yet challenging environment that encourages success and learning through play." - Damian Burrin, Computer Science Teacher, United Kingdom