A long time ago we made a Pi into a WiFi gateway that also blocked ads but the Pi Hole project does a way better job!
This kit will make your Pi Zero W act as a DNS (Domain Name Server) The kind of device that tells you that adafruit.com is known as IP address 22.214.171.124.
Except, when Pi Hole DNS is installed, it will do a special trick, when it is asked for the IP address of ads.adserver.com (for example) it will return nothing! So you will never even connect to the ad server and get the ad. Your connection will be faster, less data, and no intrusive ads. It works great on computers, tablets, phones, etc. Even if you cannot run an ad-blocker plugin on your phone or tablet, this will work and ad-blocker-detectors can't tell you're running it.
Unlike our WiFi gateway demo, you do not have to set up the Pi as your access point, you will only use it as a DNS ad blocker so it will not act as a bottleneck.
We upgraded our Pi Zero Pi Hole with a little display, that makes setting up clients easy and also gives you some nifty stats! If you want a kit with a huge color display for tons of stats and ad-blockin' goodness check out our guide and kit for using Pi-Hole with the Raspberry Pi 3 and PiTFT 2.8" color screen
This kit uses an OLED display, which over time will dim...for that reason we've upgraded this kit to use a TFT display that will stay bright for years! We recommend the upgrade kit, check it out here. We'll keep this kit around for those who really like OLED displays.
This pack includes:
- Raspberry Pi Zero WH - the type of low-cost game-changing product Raspberry Pi's known for - the super light, super lean microcomputer we've come to know and low, but now with built-in WiFi. Comes with pre-soldered headers
- Adafruit PiOLED - a monochrome 128x32 OLED with sharp white pixels. The OLED uses only the I2C pins so you have plenty of GPIO connections available for buttons, LEDs, sensors, etc. It's also nice and compact so it will fit into any case.
- Adafruit Pi Zero Enclosure - Adafruit's classic, sturdy plastic enclosure. Keeps your Pi Zero safe!
- 16GB Card with NOOBS 3.1 for Raspberry Pi Computers - the fastest way to have a variety of operating systems on your Pi
All you need is a USB power supply and a USB cable (not included cause you probably have spares) to power the Pi Zero WH+OLED. You can put it anywhere in your home or office where WiFi is available.
Please note that OLED displays are made of hundreds of...OLEDs! That means each pixel is a little organic LED, and if its kept on for over 1000 hours it'll start to dim. If you want to keep the display uniformly bright, please turn off the display (set the pixels off) when it isn't needed to keep them from dimming.
- As of December 10, 2019 we are updating this kit to include a 16GB microSD Card with NOOBS 3.1 instead of the 8GB microSD card with NOOBS 2.8
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.