If you're building a IoT project and need to send data back-and-forth, the WiFi module built into newer Pi's should be fine for most cases. But, what if you find WiFi does not have a long range you need? If you're deploying your project somewhere more remotely, without WiFi or a strong cellular network, like a rural area, you'll need another option. Something that can be deployed quickly with no overhead setup and that will transmit/receive over a long distance.
Enter LoRa (Long Range) Radio - a smart, long-range, wireless transmission technology that enables the future of IoT (Internet of Things)without Cellular fees.
This LoRa HAT from RAK Wireless is capable of multi-channel, multi-node communication all running in a non-intimidating, hackable Raspberry Pi environment. Unlike our basic LoRa gateway bonnet, this chipset can support all 8 channels, so it can handle multiple clients, on different LoRa channels, without having to do any code tweaks.
We've pulled together a pack with all the hardware you need to make a Raspberry Pi Powered LoRa router! Some assembly is required to screw together the parts, but no soldering is required. You even get an SD card ready to rock.
Once you have your Internet-to-LoRa gateway set up with this kit, make LoRa nodes using our Feather line for easy deployment of sensor networks that run on battery power. Don't forge to only use 900 MHz LoRa modules to match up with this transceiver HAT's frequency.
HAT Technical Details
- LoRa Concentrator Engine: Semtech SX1301
- Sensitivity up to -142.5 dBm
- New Model integrates Ublox MAX-7Q GPS module
- Max output power up to 350mW or 25.5dBm
- Range up to 15 km (Line of Sight), ~2km in dense urban areas
- Designed for 915MHz US/Australia LoRA ISM band
- Emulates 49 x LoRa demodulators, 10 programmable parallel demodulation paths, 8 uplink ch, 1 downlink ch
- Temperature: -40º to 85ºC
- 2x SX1257 as Tx/Rx front-ends
- SMA connector for GPS/GNSS antenna
- RP-SMA connector for 915MHz antenna
- FCC & CE compliance
- Raspberry Pi Firmware/SD Card image
- Tons of documentation on the RAK Wireless site including step-by-step setup guides.
Payment & Accreditations
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.